Translate

Monday, December 25, 2006

Super Bad

James Brown just died, and even though he's been around forever, I didn't realize he was 73 years old. Considering how hard he supposedly lived for stretches, that's not too bad.

I don't listen to R&B/soul all that much nowadays, but occasionally I'll dig back into the old stuff. And from a pretty young age, there were entire summers where I listened to nothing but James Brown, Bootsy Collins, Al Green, Stevie Wonder. A great many of those songs, even when I haven't heard them in years, can bring back a flood of memories upon listening again. That's a real gift, and a tremendously rare one, and Brown used that gift to influence at least one and probably two generations of performers in several genres.

So throw on Live at the Apollo if you've got it, and give props to Soul Brother Number One.

No comments: