Translate

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Down Time

I never plan on taking these little breaks, they seem to come and go very quickly. Anyway, this past week was taken up with preparing a ten-minute Power Point for a job interview, which took place on Thursday. Both the presentation and the interview went extremely well, I thought, and the job is a really good one, so hopefully this coming week brings some good news on that front. But I was surprised with how those things tended to suck the oxygen out of the rest of my week, leaving with very little energy or motivation to do much besides read.

As usual, I have a few things parked in draft mode, and it's funky and rainy here (finally we get some rain), so we'll see what the remainder of the weekend (though really, it's been all weekend for me for almost two months now) has in store.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lotsa luck with that job search, Heywood. Trust me, I know exactly how you feel -- I'm in the same situation right now. There's a good chance I'll be coming to work at CalTech for a couple of years (no, I'm not a scientist; just a historian).

Go get'em, tiger.

Heywood J. said...

Thanks, Marius. We're all in that leaky boat now, even people who have jobs for the moment. I feel like I've got this one, but I'll know for sure in a couple days. Caltech sounds like a great opportunity, good luck with that one.

Anonymous said...

Best wishes Heywood J. (Is that Heywood J. Buzzoff? :-)

I think it's best to realize that preparing such stuff _does_ require all your mojo, and give yourself the richly-deserved respite from other stuff, both during and afterward. Your readers will wait.

God, the job hunt (esp. for 'professional' 'career' jobs) is just the worst, hardest shit. I hate to do it... The big lift is having to deflect the self-images employers want to box you into, keeping instead your own strong, original vision of who you are and what you can / want to do....

(I've just resigned a decent science-computing job (which was great but gradually was just no fun anymore), leaping off (into the cloud forest.) I hope I never have to seek another 'career job' in the US ever again...)

Again, best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Hope you killed them!

er wait, no I hope you left them alive so they will hire you....

good luck