Translate

Monday, April 10, 2017

Fly the Friendly Skies

I haven't flown in years, since before 9/11 in fact, and since I can't afford to go anywhere cool, it's entirely possible I'll never fly again, and even if I could afford to, I'd avoid it as much as possible. The United incident only underscores why, and while it might be fun (and perhaps even accurate) to pick on United and threaten a boycott, they are clearly a symptom of a much larger problem.

Between the lines, the delays, the invasive searches, abusive personnel, and ridiculous security theater rituals, being overcharged for food and drink at a shit airport restaurant while you wait for your flight well past schedule, only to get on the plane and wait some more on the tarmac (no doubt with a screeching infant right next to you). Yeah, that all totally sounds worth it for a few days in Hawaii. Where the fuck do I sign up?

Frankly I'm surprised, after reading countless horror stories over the past fifteen years, that people are willing to put up with this pointless exercise in abuse, and that's really all it is. You're treated like absolute shit, like a farm animal, like a terrorist, from the time you enter the airport to the time you arrive at your destination. This has been going on for years, and it's not getting any better. And it won't until enough people say, "You know what? Fuck you. I don't need to go to Cancun that badly."

No comments: